The Board of Trustees of the Addison Public Library believes that patrons have the right to use library materials and services without being disturbed or impeded by other library users; that library patrons and employees have the right to a secure and comfortable environment; and, that library patrons and employees have a right to materials that are in good condition. Illinois Library Law (75 ILCS 5/4-7) gives the Board of Trustees the right “to make and adopt bylaws, rules, and regulations, for their own guidance and for the government of the library as may be expedient,” as well as “to exclude from the use of the Library any person who willfully violates the rules prescribed by the Board."
The general rules of behavior in the Library are given below. A complete list of the Library's rules of behavior and the actions that will be taken to enforce these rules is available for examination at any public service desk.
A. Use of Property and Facilities
Patrons shall be engaged in activities associated with the use of a public library while in the library. In using the facilities, library materials, and other property of the Addison Public Library, it shall be prohibited to:
- Eat, other than in approved lunchroom or eating area.
- Rearrange or relocate Library furnishings or equipment.
- Enter the Library facility without appropriate attire and without a generally acceptable standard of personal hygiene.
- Use the name or address of the Addison Public Library as any element of advertising or promoting paid tutoring services.
- Smoke, use chewing tobacco, or possess or use any container as a spittoon.
- Tear, mark on, maliciously render imperfect or otherwise damage or destroy Library property or materials.
- Engage in disorderly conduct by acting in such an unreasonable manner as to alarm or disturb another and to provoke a breach of the peace.
- Block or in any way interfere with the free movement of any person or persons.
- Dump, deposit, drop, throw, discard, leave, cause or permit the dumping, depositing, dropping, throwing, discarding or leaving of litter, as defined by Illinois Revised Statutes, Chapter 605, ILCS 120.10, upon, on, or around Library property unless the litter is placed in a receptacle or other container intended for the deposit of litter.
- Enter upon the Library property, or within any Library facilities, in an intoxicated condition.
- Bring any animal other than a Service Animal within the Library facility without prior permission of the Library Director.
- Roller blade, skate board, bicycle, scooter, or engage in any other activity that may endanger public safety.
- Use loud, threatening or abusive language within a Library facility, so as to provoke or create a breach of the peace.
B. Parental Responsibility
It shall be the responsibility of the parents or caretakers to supervise their child or children at all times in the Library. The Library and the personnel associated therewith shall not be used by said parent or legal guardian as a substitute for
Children under the age of 10 shall not be left upon or within any Library property or facility without said child or children being accompanied by a parent or caretaker sixteen years or older.
Children age 10 and older shall not be left upon or within any Library property or facility with the intent of using the Library property or facility and personnel associated therewith as a substitute for childcare.
THE STAFF MEMBER IN CHARGE OF THE LIBRARY WILL HAVE THE SUPPORT OF THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES FOR ANY OFFICIAL ACT INCLUDING CALLING THE POLICE AND SIGNING A COMPLAINT NECESSARY TO ENFORCE THE LIBRARY’S RULES.