The Board of Trustees of the Addison Public Library believes that patrons have the right to use library materials and services without being disturbed or impeded by other library users; that library patrons and employees have the right to a secure and comfortable environment; and, that library patrons and employees have a right to materials that are in good condition. Illinois Library Law (75 ILCS 5/4-7) gives the Board of Trustees the right “to make and adopt bylaws, rules, and regulations, for their own guidance and for the government of the library as may be expedient,” as well as “to exclude from the use of the Library any person who willfully violates the rules prescribed by the Board."
The staff member in charge of the library will have the support of the Board of Trustees for any official act in accordance with Board-approved policies and library procedures.
Use of Property and Facilities
Patrons shall be engaged in activities associated with the use of a public library while in the library. In using the facilities, materials, and other property of the Addison Public Library, it shall be prohibited to:
- Enter the Library facility without appropriate attire and without a generally acceptable standard of personal hygiene.
- Use the name or address of the Addison Public Library as any element of advertising or promoting paid tutoring services.
- Use electronic cigarettes (e-cigarettes), tobacco or alcohol or enter the Library in an intoxicated condition.
- Engage in conduct that may reasonably be expected to create a disturbance or otherwise interfere with the quiet and safe use and enjoyment of the Library by others (for example, but not limited to, loud or boisterous conversations, running, fighting, threatening or harassing behavior, use of video equipment including cell phone cameras, obstructing others' access to Library resources, etc.)
- Engage in conduct that may reasonably be expected to endanger the health and safety of Library users or employees or cause or threaten to cause damage to Library materials or facilities (for example, moving furniture in a way which blocks aisles, using tables, chairs or heating units as footstools, sitting on stairways, defacing or vandalizing Library property or materials, etc.) The Library reserves the right to limit the number of persons who may sit together at a single table or workstation.
- Bring any animal other than a Service Animal within the Library facility without prior permission of the Library Director.
- Roller blade, skate board, bicycle, scooter, or engage in any other activity that may endanger public safety.
The consumption of food and beverages is permitted in the library, except in designated areas.