Book Discussion Questions:
1. Did you find the book uplifting, depressing, or something other?
2. What do you think the author is saying about society?
3. What do you think the author is saying about the modern family?
4. What views of life are expressed in this book? Do any of them hit the mark?
5. What are Fiona, Will, and Marcus’s takes on goals? Do these views of goals change or the goals themselves change?
6. Did anything about the novel bother you?
7. What kind of character is Will? Fiona? Marcus?
8. What purpose does Ellie serve in the book? How is she more than a stereotyped "bad girl" character?
9. Although the book is set in England, would it need to be? What aspects of the book could be set anywhere? What aspects of the book must be in England?
10. What do you think some of the themes of this novel are?
11. Does Will and Marcus’s relationship go beyond individual loneliness? Why or why not?
12. How do the characters evolve, especially Will, Marcus, and Fiona?
13. What do you like or dislike about the ending? What do you think will happen to each character from where the book ends?
14. What did you find humorous in the book?
15. What viewpoints of depression are we able to see in this book?
Film Discussion Questions:
1. In your opinion, the key relationship in the movie is between which two characters?
2. How does Will discover that “Life without meaning is meaningless”?
What leads to this realization?
3. Would you classify this film as a romantic comedy?
4. “About a Boy” has parallel coming-of-age stories of the two protagonists, thirty-something Will and preteen Marcus. How does each of the characters grow up?
5. What do you think the film is saying about society?
6. How does the film portray the modern family?
7. Both the novel and the film are set in England. How does the setting affect the storyline?
8. What are Fiona, Will, and Marcus’ takes on goals? Do these views of goals change or the goals themselves change?
9. Does Will and Marcus’ relationship go beyond individual loneliness? Why or why not?
10. What did you like or dislike about the ending?
Source: Manitowoc Public Library