Every year in April, libraries across the country observe National Library Week in order to celebrate the contributions of libraries and library staff and to promote library use and support. We’ve decided to join the fun! Follow along on social media as we showcase the people and services that support our library’s mission, and stay tuned for other happenings as National Library Week draws closer.
Book Character Costume Party
Will you be Pete the Cat or a Hogwarts student? How about Dog Man or Roller Girl? Celebrate National Library Week and dress as your favorite book character! We’ll have crafts and activities inspired by the worlds in our favorite books! All ages.
Tues., Apr. 9 4:30-5:30
James and the Giant Peach
Celebrate National Library Week and join us for this exciting musical show. Presented by American Eagle Productions, James and the Giant Peach brings Roald Dahl’s book to life and teaches the life lessons of loyalty and friendship. All ages.
Weds., Apr. 10 7:00-7:45 Tickets available at the Children's Services desk.
DID YOU KNOW...?
- Addison Public Library was recognized in 2018 as one of Illinois’ 200 Great Places, which showcases the best of Illinois architecture.
- There are more public libraries than Starbucks in the U.S., a total of 16,568! (American Library Association, 2019)
- In 2018, we had an average of 700 visitors per day who attended programs, used our specialized databases, and borrowed our materials.
- In 2016, 1.4 billion people visited public libraries across the U.S., which is the equivalent of about 2,664 visits per minute! (American Library Association, 2019)
- 113 million people attended programs at public libraries in 2016. That’s more than all MLB, NFL, and NBA games combined! (American Library Association, 2019)
- The Library of Congress is the largest library in the world, with more than 167 million items on approximately 838 miles of bookshelves, which would span roughly the distance from The Library of Congress in Washington, D.C., to Cape Canaveral, Florida. (American Library Association, 2019)
WE WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU!
Want to share some library love? Tell us what you enjoy about the Addison Public Library!