Get a Card

The chart below explains what you need to bring in to get a card.

Resident Cards

Over 18

  • Two forms of ID*
  • Free!

Teens (with no parental consent)

  • Two forms of ID*
  • Limited to a combination of three books, magazines, DVDs, CDs, or audiobooks
  • Cannot check out video games, electronic equipment, or hotspots
  • Free!

Under 18

  • Two forms of ID* from a parent or guardian
  • Parent/guardian and child must be present
  • Cannot check out hotspots
  • Free!

Special Cards


  • Two forms of ID*
  • Tax bill or rent receipt/check
  • Yearly fee (based on your tax bill)

Addison Business Owner

  • Two forms of ID*
  • Copy of tax bill
  • Proof of address
  • Free!

Reciprocal Borrower

  • Two forms of ID*
  • Home library card
  • Good standing with home library
  • Free!

*Preferred forms of ID: a driver's license, a credit card, or a bill with a recent US Mail postmark delivered to the patron's current address.

Library Cards for All

Can't afford a nonresident card? The Friends of the Library generously sponsor free library cards to nonresidents who are part of the TANF program and have a child in School District 4. Family members who live at the same address are all eligible for these cards. Please bring in this completed application or stop by the Guest Services desk for a copy.

Completed applications must include:

  1. One Library Card Subsidy Application Form per family, with parents’ names, children’s names, and principal’s signature. 
  2. A rental agreement, lease, or most recent property tax bill per family. 
  3. To receive a card, each family member over 18 must appear in person with two pieces of identification. One of those pieces must have their name and current address. Family members under 18 must come with a qualifying adult. All library cards expire one year from the date of issue.

Lost Card?

If you have lost your library card, please let staff at Guest Services know as soon as possible and they will be happy to issue you a new card for a $2.00 fee. Stop by the desk next time you're in or call them at 630.543.3617.

Renew Your Card

If it's time to renew your library card, just stop by the Guest Services Desk near the front door with proof of your name and current address. Outstanding fees for overdue materials, lost items, etc. must be paid before the card is renewed.


Give us a call at 630.543.3617 or stop by the Guest Services Desk.