Use the guide below to see how long you can borrow different types of items. Unless otherwise specified, most of our items do not have quantity limits.
- New DVDs & Blu-rays
- Lucky Day DVDs & Blu-rays (limit 2)
- New adult and teen books
- Lucky Day books (limit 2)
- New CDs
- DVDs & Blu-rays
- Video games (limit 2)
- Library of Things collection (limit 3)
- Wi-Fi Hotspots and Laptop Bundles (must be 18 years old to check out)
- Regular books
- Everything else!
- You won't be fined for returning items late, but if an item is more than 42 days overdue, your account will be unusable until the item is returned or you have less than $10 in fees on your account. Learn more about our fees for overdue or missing items.
- Teen Limited Access cardholders are limited to borrowing three items at a time. Teen Limited Access cardholders are unable to check out internet-enabled devices like laptops and mobile hotspots.
Borrowers from Other Libraries
- You are not eligible to place holds on any new items.
- Remote access databases and downloadable/streaming services are not available for your use.
- Library of Things materials are not available for checkout.
Effective July 7, 2022, many Addison Public Library items will automatically renew when you check them out! This means you no longer have to remember to renew items you want to keep for longer than the original loan period. This also means you have more time to enjoy the items you borrow!
Most library items can be renewed up to two times as long as no other patrons have a hold on the item. For example, when you borrow a book with a loan period of 4 weeks, the item can renew up to two times, which means you can get an additional 8 weeks to enjoy the book. If another patron puts a hold on your book after its first automatic renewal, the item you borrowed will not renew a second time.
The following items are not renewable:
- Items that another patron has on hold
- Lucky Day DVDs and Blu-rays
- Lucky Day books
- Interlibrary loan items